Xeriscape is a new term which is used to define an old, yet simple concept: use plants where they will thrive with existing conditions.
The idea behind xeriscape is to create a visually attractive landscape using drought tolerant plants and materials.
- There are a wide variety of beautiful trees, shrubs, flowers and ornamental grasses that can create a wonderful drought tolerant environment.
- The use of mulch hinders evaporation of water from the soil by 80%.
- A well planned garden and irrigation system will conserve water and lower your monthly water bill.
Ideal Plants for Xeriscaping
More and more property owners in Colorado are discovering the great benefits of xeriscaping in achieving a verdant landscape despite the state’s generally humid climate. With the clever and scientific plant installation, it’s possible to maintain a lush landscape without worrying about the usual irrigation requirements.
Accordingly, we usually recommend these plants for our xeriscaping projects:
- Cacti. These hardened plants are among the most drought-resistant species that one can ever find, with some species surviving even in extremely dry terrains like the Atacama Desert. A cactus plant has an excellent water-conserving structure, making it a favorite among landscaping contractors working on xeriscape projects.
- Purple fountain grass. This is a popular choice among xeriscape installers for its striking beauty, low water requirement, and sturdy nature.
- Hens and chicks. Apart from their rather interesting name, hens and chicks are also prized for their ability to survive well in dry areas, such as in Colorado. These perennials are also ideal for projects that involve creating a rock garden.
- Aloe vera. Another favorite xeriscaping plant is aloe vera. This perennial is ideal for desert landscaping just like cactus is.
- Autumn joy sedum. This hardy perennial is perfect as a center piece for rock gardens, as well as in border plantings.
Meanwhile, we also suggest going for a particular xeriscaping design that will effectively enhance our clients’ respective landscapes. Property owners may choose from Zen-inspired, modern/contemporary, Western, and Old World designs and themes complete with garden paths, boulders, and other design elements.
Harmonizing Xeriscape Elements
In any xeriscaping task, it’s always vital to remember how the various elements will interact once fully installed. For example, one has to carefully position perennials in relation to the shrubs, or pick the exact plant species that will consume the least amount of water so they will not affect other plants nearby. One also has to carefully pinpoint the position of boulder stones so they will not obstruct or hinder the growth of the drought-resistant plants in the landscape.
In such cases, the experience of the xeriscaping installers will be a critical factor in ensuring the success of the project. Fortunately, we at Artistic Landscaping & Design have the expert manpower required to complete such specialized task. Our people have worked on a lot of similar projects before for countless clients in Colorado cities such as Idaho Springs, Westminster, Henderson, Louisville, Brighton, and Aurora.
Our team of xeriscape designers and installers know how to utilize this landscaping technique to create noteworthy landscape features for outdoor spaces, both commercial and residential. From plant selection to installation of design elements like mulches and boulder stones, we can guarantee you a landscape that will look interesting and inviting no matter how unforgiving the climate may be.
Hire Us for Your Xeriscaping Needs
With our decades of experience handling specialized landscaping tasks like xeriscaping, you are assured of successful xeriscaped projects. We also have the expertise, manpower, and complete tools, equipment, and landscaping supplies to complete such projects. With our help, you’ll surely enjoy the wonderful benefits of a xeriscaped landscape such as lower water bills, improved aesthetic, and more relaxing atmosphere.
Call us today.We Provide Services to the Following Cities and Towns in Colorado:
- Athmar Park
- Black Hawk
- Boulder County
- Capitol Hill
- Cheesman Park
- Commerce City
- Congress Park
- Federal Heights
- Five Points
- Idaho Springs
- Lodo-union Station
- Mountain View
- Park Hill
- Perl Mack
- Villa Park
- Washington Park
- Wheat Ridge